Friday, May 8, 2009

The Miracle of Massage

Massage Therapy is a form of healing and relaxation for your body and mind. It helps strengthen your immune system, improve your posture, increase your joint flexibility and range of motion, relieve headaches and muscle tightness, and work out lactic acid and toxins from your muscles. It is a wonderful way to treat yourself and your body will thank you! There are numerous types of massage therapy, depending on what you are looking for or wanting to focus on: therapuetic massage, hot stone therapy, neuromuscular therapy, hand/head/foot massage, deep tissue, Swedish massage and many more. If you've never had a massage before, I would recommend going with the basic therapeutic massage for either 30 min or 1 hour. Make sure you communicate with your massage therapist what is bothering you, where you are tight or in pain, and what you would like to get out of the massage. And let them know if it is your first time getting a massage!

Personally, massage therapy helped me get my life back after a bad car accident. After a broken neck, among other broken bones, my upper back was rock solid, as my muscles had tightened up to support my neck. Getting back into running was extremely painful, causing headaches, neck and back pain. After two massages in as many weeks, I was running pain-free, as well as having no side effects after my runs. It was amazing! My massage therapist is no miracle worker, but my body really responded to the relaxation and care that she placed on my muscles. Give it a try and see how your body responds!!

No comments: